Tech Tips are designed to help users get more out of their ADA or RADAR by showcasing valuable system shortcuts and tricks. Check back every month for a new Tech Tip – they’re submitted by iZ staff and other iZ product users on a regular basis. If you have an idea for a Tech Tip, please contact iZ Support by clicking here.
Copy & Paste files to USB / Hard drive / CD / DVD
Wondering about the fastest way to move files from your Archive drive to a recording drive, CD, or DVD (or USB if you’re running version 3.50 or above)?
- Use the browse, copy, and paste features to quickly move files from place to place.
- Press ‘Shift+B’ to bring up the browse menu. Use the up and down arrows to navigate to the drive you would like to copy files from (D:ARCHIVE, E:USB, 1:RADAR_BWAV), and press ‘enter’ to make your selection.
- Use the up and down arrows to browse to the folders/files you wish to copy.
- Press ‘copy’ to select the folders you wish to copy, and a ‘+’ will appear in the top right of the menu display along with the file/folder size. This means it is marked to be copied.
- Repeat steps 2 and 3 as needed to continue selecting other files/folders to be copied. When all desired files are selected, press ‘enter’. RADAR will display a “Browse to Paste” message, and revert to the browse menu.
- Use the up and down arrows to browse to the drive or blank media where you would like the files to be pasted (B:DVD Blank Disk, D:Archive, E:USB, 1:RADAR_BWAV), and press ‘enter’ to select.
- Press ‘paste’, and the data will be transferred.
Speed Disk Scanning Times
Frustrated with long disk scans? If you have a SATA receiver or an eSATA port on your RADAR, but don’t have a drive connected to it, it will result in long scan times. If you have the current software package for RADAR, you can disable or enable these receivers as needed to speed up scan times.To access the Enable Disk ID dialog instantly, simply press the letter ‘E’ on either the Session Controller or KC-24 keyboard. This allows drives which are not in use to be disabled – speeding up access to file browsing, backup, and other functions that scan for drives.
To enable or disable a Disk ID:
- Press E to access the shortcut. The list of drive IDs will be displayed. (The eSATA port is drive ID #2.)
- Press the right or left arrow keys to select an ID, and the up and down arrow keys to select ‘Y’ for enabled and ‘N’ for disabled. Once the options are set, press the ENTER key to exit the menu.
Clear Clipped Meters on the Fly
We all love the RADAR preference that lets us set the amount of time that clipped meters display on the Session Controller and/or RADARView. But how do you clear those clipped meter LEDs without interrupting the recording?Just press and hold SHIFT while pressing CANCEL – this will clear clipped meters while in record or playback mode.
How Much Record-Time is Still on my Drive?
If you’ve ever been in a recording session and wondered if your drive had enough juice left to capture the whole set, this Tech Tip is for you!To find out how much record-time is left on your mounted drive, just press and hold the right and left arrow keys simultaneously. The LCD screen on your Session Controller will display the record-time remaining in hour/minute/second format – the same information will be displayed on the monitor’s GUI for KC24 users. This function can be used while the transport is in STOP, PLAY, or RECORD.
Jump-To Menu Navigation
Who ever said you need a mouse for easy menu navigation? RADAR makes it fast and intuitive to jump to different menus. Here’s how:If you know the name of the menu item you’re looking for, just press the first letter of the menu item on your KC24 or Session Controller. Your controller will display all menu options that start with that letter in one-by-one order.
E.G. If you’re in the Main Menu and are trying to get to the Project Menu, press the “P” key to jump to the Project Menu. Press the “P” key again for the Preferences Menu.
Locate to Start/End of an Audio Region
Have you ever tried to locate to the start or end of an audio region with the jog wheel? Time consuming and far from precise, right? Here’s an easy shortcut:
- Press RECALL LOC
- Press the forward or back arrow keys depending if you want to jump to the start or the end of the region.
- To jump to the beginning or end of an audio region on a specific track, just press SOLO TRACK before following the above steps.